Book Review: Female Mutilation: The Truth Behind the Horrifying Global Practice of Female Genital Mutilation
★ ★ ★ ★
This is the second book by this author on this topic. In contrast with the first which explored cultures and beliefs from the author’s perspective, this book is a compilation of others’ views. Contributors are male and female, and include victims and campaigners from all over the world.
While the commentaries from victims are emotional and thought-provoking, the most memorable are from male authors who acknowledge that if sustainable results in anti-female genital mutilation work are ever going to be achieved, then men must be fully engaged in ending it.
Some contributors suggest possible ways of eradicating the problem altogether, while many raise the issue of campaigners being gagged by those in power.
The book is written in a readable style and its contents are relevant for nurses, particularly those working in primary and community care, as well as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests