Book review: The Biological Basis of Mental Health (Third edition)
This text has for some time been the most readable and comprehensive volume covering the biological underpinnings of a wide range of mental health and neuropsychiatric disorders across the lifespan.
It ranges from developmental disorders through to the dementias.
This third edition updates and expands the author’s previous work and provides an ideal introduction to nurses and nursing students seeking to develop their understanding of a wide range of human development and behaviour encountered in clinical practice.
Easy to understand
The author provides very clear and easy to understand explanations of both normal and altered physiology. He defines his terms as he goes along and does not assume that the reader has a sophisticated understanding of biology.
The work opens with useful introductory chapters on the brain, brain development, neural communication, neurotransmitters and receptors and hormones and behaviour....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests