All Patients Great and Small – Tales of a Rural District Nurse
Each chapter is based around a central character. Meet Harry, a man in his nineties who has leg ulcers, survived the war, lost his sweetheart and who now recycles everything, including various pieces of scrap metal which he used to make an exercise bike.
Then there is Dick the local gravedigger, and Ida, who placed her trust in the medical and nursing professions by allowing maggots to be used on an unhealthy wound.
The author highlights the unique position of the district nurse, and the challenges they face when professional boundaries become blurred.
The loneliness and isolation experienced by some receiving care in their own home is also covered, as is the intimate shared relationship when a patient dies or a family loses a loved one.
Packed with fun and laughter, tears and pain, the storytelling in this book is rich and thoughtful.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests