Workplace: How to deal with bullying in the workplace
Question: I have been contacted by a nurse who witnessed (not for the first time) a manager intimidating a more junior colleague. What is the best way to help her?
Before you arrange to meet the nurse, ask her to write down precisely what has been happening in as much detail as possible.
This should include dates, times and locations, as well as the names and job titles of everyone who may have witnessed the bullying.
This will help you to determine the seriousness of the incidents.Support colleague
At your meeting, commend the nurse for showing concern for her colleague, and advise her that she should continue to do this and agree to be a witness if needed.
One option is for the nurse who is being bullied to report the manager herself.
Advise the nurse to make sure her colleague is...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests