Workplace: how to protect yourself and patients when using social media
I have been approached by nurses who are worried that their use of social media could cause problems at work. Do you have any advice?
Social media enables health professionals to network widely and is a useful tool. But there are pitfalls and hurdles that need to be navigated when using sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
Guidance issued by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) clearly states that nurses who act in an unprofessional or unlawful way on social media put their registration at risk. This includes posting pictures of patients and people receiving care without their consent, and posting inappropriate comments about patients.
One nurse who...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests