Workplace: How to negotiate redeployment for a nurse facing termination
Question: How can I negotiate redeployment for a nurse who might otherwise face termination of their contract due to recurrent sick leave caused by stress?
I presume you have already had an initial meeting with the nurse concerned and have become aware that alternative employment is a possibility. Preparation and careful consideration of all the available options is now vital.
The causes of the stress that resulted in the nurse taking sick leave must be determined. You must also consider whether redeployment is likely to provide a change of pace and environment, which would make a difference to the attendance and performance of the nurse. Length of service will also count towards the outcome.
You now have the task of persuading the nurse’s employers that it is in their best interests to retain him or her as a member of staff, and make the nurse effective...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests