Workforce: Legislation alone won’t solve this staffing crisis
Whether England follows Wales or Scotland’s lead, there are other factors involved in safe staffing
The RCN has committed to pushing for safe staffing legislation in England. As it mulls over which type of staffing legislation to lobby for at Westminster, another UK country has made progress.
On 2 May, the Health and Care (Staffing) (Scotland) bill was passed by the Scottish parliament, making Scotland the second UK country to put safe staffing into law. Wales was first, introducing nurse safe staffing legislation for adult acute wards in April 2018.
- RELATED: Scotland passes safe staffing law
The Scottish legislation is different from that in Wales in that it is not nursing specific – it...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests