We need more university places to boost the number of nurses
There was a small increase in students joining nursing courses this year, but we are still not recruiting enough
The latest data from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) shows a small increase in the number of new nursing students accepted onto courses compared to last year.
Interim data from mid-August shows that the number of applicants placed on nursing degree courses at UK universities was 21,870 this year, around 4% higher than at the same point in 2018.
Failing to reach the required numbers
The number of confirmed applicants from England was up by about 3% on last year - from 15,490 to 16,010 –...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests