Shoes for nurses: how to choose the right footwear for your comfort and safety
A nurse’s choice of shoe can make or break a long and physically demanding shift, which is why it’s essential to know what to look for in professional footwear, and why fashion statements are best left at home
Anyone who has worked a nursing shift knows the importance of a comfortable pair of shoes.
Long hours combined with roles that often involve taking thousands of steps, as well as lifting and moving patients and residents, means that having the right footwear is fundamental for everyone in clinical practice.
The market for ‘nursing shoes’ is huge: brands such as Clarks claim to have the ‘perfect nurse shoe’ among their designs, while in 2020, sportswear giant Nike unveiled a trainer road-tested by healthcare professionals.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests