Legal advice: Can I claim exemption from jury service if I am running a clinic on the proposed dates?
Healthcare professionals used to be able to claim exemption from jury service, but it is now seen as a civic responsibility shared by everyone. Even if you ask to be excused, your jury service would likely be deferred rather than an exemption being given
Those registered with one of the healthcare professional regulators, including the Nursing and Midwifery Council, used to be able to claim exemption from jury service. This changed with the introduction of the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
The current position is that unless you are aged under 18 or over 70, have a mental illness or been convicted of a criminal offence (subject to certain criteria), you must undertake jury service if you receive a summons to do so, unless you have already served within the past two...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests