Legal advice: Can a mentor report a pre-registration student to the NMC?
A mentor believes a student's attitude makes her unsuitable for nursing, but students who are not yet registered with the NMC cannot be reported to the regulator. The university's disciplinary process is an option, but try a more informal approach first, says legal expert Marc Cornock
As pre-registration students are not registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), you cannot report them to the regulator.
The NMC issues guidance on professional conduct for nursing and midwifery students , but it cannot take any action until the person is on, or applies to join, the register.
It is only when a student...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests