Why NHS’s reliance on overseas nurses will last for years to come
Foreign nurses whether from the EU or beyond are a mainstay of UK healthcare and thats not about to change, whatever anyone says
One of the tipped candidates for the NHS England chief executive job vacancy reportedly vowed to end the NHS's reliance on foreign nurses .
She did not make the interview shortlist, but the question lingers.
Does it make sense to suggest that the NHS could become self-sufficient in nurse staffing?
UK healthcare depends on attracting an international nurse workforce
The most useful data on the profile of international nurses in the UK is from the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring more than 200 topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- RCNi Learning featuring 180 CPD-accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests