Top tips from a nurse director for staying on top of your game
Claire Johnston, who has been director of nursing and people at Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust for 15 years, offers her secrets on staying on top
Nurses bring hope to people and being a director of nursing is a privilege.
You have to be steered by what matters to nurses and nursing and stay true to this. It's more difficult to stay on top than it is to get there, but if you focus on the right things with conviction, you will make a deal of difference.
Failure and criticism are part of the package: knocks happen, so just try to make sure they don't stick to you. Don't ruminate on any mistakes - let them go and remember: stepping stones to success come from discouragement you've faced.
Choose great deputy nurses
Pick the best nursing team to work alongside....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests