A recommended read…
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer
Haunted by the death of his brother, Matt, the teenage schizophrenic protagonist, has been sectioned after failing to adjust in society. Here, he records his thoughts as self-led writing therapy.
The author’s experience in mental health nursing shines through, giving Matt’s voice an authenticity as believable as it is endearing. Dependent on the fluctuating nature of his condition and his ongoing internal struggles, Matt’s story, which is interspersed with doodles and sketches, is gripping.
Filer’s character is relatable and human and the book’s acclaim is thoroughly justified.
Janet Davies is chief executive and general secretary of the RCNThe Glass Room by Simon Mawer
Set in Venice in 1928, the story begins with a Czech couple’s chance encounter with a young Jewish architect.
He designs a family home for them, a modernist...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests