Periods at work: why old-fashioned attitudes need to catch up with modern nursing
Lack of concessions for staff dealing with menstrual leaks and cramps must change
‘What about death?’ I said to our manager. ‘Isn’t that also a normal bodily function?’
I’m not usually confrontational but it was THAT time of the month, and I was angry. ‘You wouldn’t expect us to work when we’ve popped our clogs, surely?’
‘Menstruation is a normal bodily function, just get on with it’
But as my colleagues agreed later, they probably would. At the very least we would be propped up in a corner and used as a drip stand.
Since time immemorial nurses have had the ‘normal bodily function’ argument thrown at us by those in charge with regard to
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests