Nurse leader: Nurses spend their lives caring for others, so pay them what they’re worth
With mounting nursing shortages, plummeting retention levels and the scrapping of student bursaries, a perfect storm is brewing - and it is high time the government started taking care of nursing staff, says RCN chief executive Janet Davies
One of the biggest contradictions of the nursing profession is that staff who spend their lives taking care of others often feel no one cares about them. Nursing is a wonderful but difficult job, especially in the current climate, and with nursing shortages mounting, retention levels plummeting and student bursaries scrapped, there is a perfect storm brewing.
Nurses and healthcare assistants love to care for others – it is why they do the job. But they should be paid properly for it. Pay restraint since 2010 means NHS...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests