The latest learning disability care scandal makes me fear for my daughter’s future
Nursing student Leanne Patrick wants to challenge social attitudes – even among nurses
As the nursing community reels from the BBC Panorama footage of alleged abuse at Whorlton Hall private hospital, those of us who are parents and carers of children with learning disabilities look on in quiet horror.
I am reminded of Winterbourne View; each scandal of this kind highlighting the injustices faced by people with learning disabilities behind closed doors. But persistent, smaller injustices are happening every day, and health inequalities continue to grow.
My interest in this is two-fold – as a mental health nursing student, I am sadly well acquainted with these injustices, having witnessed the avoidable use of restraint and failure to engage people who are vulnerable to health inequalities....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests