Janet Davies: We cannot wait for 'normal' times and we can't afford to lose more nurses
Campaigning for a pay rise has never been so important, says RCN chief executive and general secretary Janet Davies.
With the current focus on NHS funding and system pressures, campaigning for a pay rise may seem insignificant. But it has never been so important.
With 24,000 vacancies, the unknown effect of Brexit and student funding changes, these are not normal times.
The continued cap on salaries has meant a significant drop in income, creating hardship and forcing people to consider leaving the profession. Nurses are also turning to agency work to make ends meet, increasing costs and making pay restraint a false economy.
Earlier this week, RCN and Royal College of Midwives (RCM) members held a...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests