Janet Davies: Support our campaign for legislation on safe staffing across the UK
Short staffing is a year-round problem that hits even harder in winter. We need a commitment to safe staffing levels and more investment in nursing across health and social care, says RCN chief executive Janet Davies
We are in the middle of a long winter, and it’s hard to get away from daily reports of missed targets, cancelled operations and rising flu cases.
A lot of the focus is on emergency departments (ED), because we know seasonal pressures make it increasingly difficult for ED staff to provide safe patient care. But winter affects all aspects of nursing, with staff across the country currently working in overstretched and underfunded services.
Coping with winter pressures is made even more challenging by the severe lack of staff.
Short staffing is a year-round problem, but it hits even harder in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests