Jane Bates: You should get that looked at…
Given how difficult it can be to see a GP, are people finding other ways to manage their health?
For most of my time working in the NHS, the nurse-patient conversation has gone something like this: ‘I’m rather concerned about your blood pressure/strange lesion/unusual rash. You need to run this past your GP.’
But in 2018 it is more like: ‘I’m rather concerned about your blood pressure/strange lesion/unusual rash. Err…. um….’
There was a time when if we had concerns about a patient that were outside our sphere of practice, we would refer the person to the family doctor. I must have sent hundreds of patients to their GP surgeries in my time, as have most of us, I’m sure.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests