Jane Bates: Wait for it…
Jane Bates expects no preferential treatment
‘Are they giving you preferential treatment? Do you get pushed to the top of the queue?’
I am waiting for a non-urgent operation on my knee, and it will not surprise you that those who pose such questions are not NHS employees. I have to explain it is not how the system works, especially as I am soldiering on and not off sick. It is all about clinical need, I tell them, rather piously.
But I can see where they are coming from, and that I would be able to perform my job more efficiently were I not hobbling around. In the spirit of fairness – it was nursing that caused the injury in the first place through the lifting and twisting and all those years on my feet – my employers should feel an obligation to sort me out....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests