Jane Bates: Older people deserve quality of life too
Feeling guilty for existing is no way to live, says Jane Bates
It was the usual roll of medication; blood pressure pills, statins, painkillers, proton-pump inhibitors – all the tablets and capsules which keep the older generation going.
The patient, a sweet lady in her 80s, apologised for the length of the list. I reassured her that many people her age were taking a similar cocktail.
‘What worries me is that I’m getting all of these free when it’s the younger people we should be concerned about,’ she said.
‘We oldies are costing the NHS so much money when resources are limited. Sometimes I feel guilty that I’m still alive.’
Isn’t that sad? I reminded her of all the years she had contributed not only to the national purse, but to her family and community. There is a time...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests