Jane Bates: Nurse leaders need to start telling it like it really is
An investigation by the BBC, based on figures released by NHS Digital, shows nurses are leaving the profession in droves. This was an opportunity for senior nurse leaders to speak out about the overwhelming stress and financial struggles faced by today’s nurses, but they blew it, says Jane Bates
Well, would you credit it. Nurses, the flat-pack furniture of the NHS – cheap, unremarkable but able to get the job done – were the top item on the national news.
An investigation by the BBC revealed that more nurses are leaving the register than joining, with nurses under age 40 quitting the NHS in unprecedented numbers, and all over the country we had our ears on stalks, waiting for someone to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests