Jane Bates: My wish for a life without emotional blackmail
Unfair pressure to do extra work is the bane of a nurse’s life, says Jane Bates
Better pay, better weather, better food. This is what a hospital in Dusseldorf is offering to lure Polish nurses away from Britain after Brexit. I wonder if they would take a superannuated British nurse with a GCSE in German? No, I thought not.
What would entice me away from these shores, if I were footloose and fancy-free? Better pay, of course. Sunshine too. But I would want more than that – I would need a promise that there would be no emotional blackmail. This low form of coercion is the bane of a nurse’s life.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests