Jane Bates: On the IT road to fairyland
Jane Bates fights back tears as she battles an NHS computer programme
Is it just me, or is life in the NHS becoming too complicated?
Picture this: I am working alone and need to order some online blood tests for a patient but the system has locked me out, and not for the first time. Some programmes, usually the ones you need in a hurry, seem to take a sadistic delight in messing you about when you are already under pressure.
Shall we let her log on today? I could imagine this one saying. Well, she’s not had lunch and she’s so computer-illiterate she thinks software is a nice cashmere sweater, so let’s go for the jugular and make her cry.
And cry I nearly did when the man in IT informed me that my access to the program had...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests