Jane Bates: I’m just a girl who can’t say no...or yes
Jane Bates struggles to stick to the point when taking part in a health questionnaire
‘I’m just a girl who cain’t say no,’ sang Ado Annie in the musical Oklahoma.
Well, I’m just a girl who cain’t say yes or no, I discovered, when taking part in a health questionnaire. ‘These are yes or no answers,’ said the person grilling me, pointedly.
I ask patients for ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers all the time, sometimes screaming the words in my head as they go off on tangent after tangent. But sometimes sticking to a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ seems impossible.
Not so easy
My interrogator was patient, posing questions such as: ‘Have you consulted your GP in the last two years?’ I defy anyone to give an answer of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests