It's time we stopped taking the NHS for granted
We demand more than the 70-year-old NHS can deliver
‘You don’t get owt for nowt,’ my mother-in-law would say with a trace of suspicion in her voice.
She was in her twenties in 1948 when the NHS was born, and could never quite accept that you could get healthcare for ‘nothing’, even though she lived until she was 83.
She had grown up in a household which had to scrape the pennies together if a family member needed medical attention, and this new-fangled system seemed too good to be true.
It’s not ‘owt for nowt’ we told her, over and over again, we pay for it through taxation, but it made no difference. She was always slightly afraid of taking advantage of this ‘free’ provision, and ever so appreciative when she did. She was as careful about her health as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests