Ian Hulatt: Will the money tree grow another branch for mental health service reform?
Government plans to create thousands of new mental health nursing posts are welcome but questions remain over where the extra staff and funding will come from, says mental health expert Ian Hulatt
It would be churlish in the extreme to appear unimpressed by the government’s announcement of plans to increase staffing numbers in mental health services.
For too long, workforce planning seems to have belonged in the ‘too difficult to do’ box, and my encounters with the efforts made seem to be a sophisticated lifting of a wet finger in the breeze.
Plans announced by the Department of Health to create 21,000 new posts in England by 2021, including nurses, address some fundamental aspects of mental health services that...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests