Ian Hulatt: Online self-assessment of mental health problems could facilitate patients seeking help earlier
Is the advent of self-diagnosis via the internet the true democratisation of health, or are we a click away from misdiagnosis and unwanted consequences?
If you have a record collection, you will know the sense of dread when your turntable starts to emit a pleasure-spoiling rumble. A quick solution is to replace it immediately, but this is obviously expensive.
So I used an internet search engine to find a potential cause, then with the assistance of a video I found on the web, I soldered in a new motor and saved myself a considerable amount of money.
In short, a simple solution found after making a diagnosis of the problem and finding the answer.
Healthcare, it seems, is also going in this direction, with health professionals now lamenting the emergence of a new condition called ‘cyberchondria’....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests