Howard Catton: WHO director-general’s address marks a major moment for nursing
Just days after being elected, the new director-general of the World Health Organization told nurses at ICN Congress they are the linchpin to addressing global health challenges
There was a palpable sense of a profession on the move and on a mission last month, as more than 8,000 nurses from over 100 countries gathered in Barcelona for the International Council of Nurses (ICN) congress.
With a theme of ‘nurses at the forefront of transforming care’, the programme stepped outside a purely nursing bubble to consider the major issues the world is currently facing, such as humanitarian crises, climate change and globalisation.
Leaders of global organisations and nurses who have held high political office told delegates that the role of nurses could ‘never be overstated’ and that we are ‘game...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests