How to build trust with a trans young person
Jesse Ashman, a volunteer for Gendered Intelligence, has some advice for nurses treating a trans young person to help them build a trusting relationship
It’s often been said to me by cisgender people (people whose gender identity matches their assigned gender at birth) that talking to trans people can be very stressful. They worry that they might inadvertently offend me by saying the wrong thing, using the wrong terminology or by asking inappropriate questions.
I usually reply by saying that so long as they are polite, they aren’t likely to offend me. However, this often isn’t enough guidance for people – and certainly is not enough in a medical context where it may be necessary to ask questions that would be inappropriate in a conversational setting and where the patient might be in an emergency situation....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests