Get moving: take on the challenge of patient mobility
A stay in hospital increases the risk of health problems ranging from pressure ulcers to low mood. Nurses have a vital role to play in educating patients and colleagues on the importance of staying mobile
‘I can’t leave the house anymore because I’ve lost all the strength in my legs, and I feel really isolated.’
These words, from the 92-year-old father of a colleague after he had spent only two weeks in bed in hospital and respite care, will strike a chord with nursing staff everywhere. This issue is the reason why chief nursing officer (CNO) for England Jane Cummings launched a national campaign to end ‘pyjama paralysis’.
Unveiled at the CNO summit in Liverpool in March, the campaign includes a PJ Paralysis 70-day challenge to get patients up and about as much as possible during hospital and care home stays...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests