Crystal Oldman: Policymakers should shadow a district nurse for a day
To truly understand the highly skilled, complex care delivered by district nurses in thousands of homes every day, policymakers need to see these specialist practitioners in action, says QNI chief executive Crystal Oldman
Four years ago, the Queen’s Nursing Institute called for a coherent workforce strategy that would address recruitment and retention as well as development of the current workforce.
At the time, proposed changes to nurse education, an ageing workforce and increasing complexity of care meant a perfect storm was brewing in nursing.
Now, with a recent report from the Health Foundation saying that NHS workforce planning is not fit for purpose, it appears we are in the eye of that storm....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests