Caroline Shuldham: What’s your story?
Listening to colleagues’ stories will help you better understand and support them in challenging times, says Caroline Shuldham
It is increasingly recognised that the experiences of healthcare staff influence the patient experience.
Nurses will be affected by many issues including the acuity of patients and the number with multiple needs and financial constraints, all of which can cause distress.
While nurses might be expected to keep their emotions at bay when working, we are all shaped by our experiences, both in nursing and in life, and the two will intersect.
This can be in positive or problematic ways, as the happy and sad times nurses experience spill over into their work. Some days this will be more evident than others, but inside the feelings will be the same....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests