Caroline Fredericks: How nurses can help cut asthma death rate
On World Asthma Day, 1 May, nurse specialist Caroline Fredericks of Asthma UK explains what asthma nurses can do to lead the way in preventing asthma deaths
Research by charity Asthma UK reveals that the UK is among the worst countries in Europe for asthma death rates, falling behind countries including France, Germany and the Netherlands.
More than two-thirds of patients lack basic asthma care, and this could be part of the problem.
As a specialist nurse on Asthma UK’s telephone helpline, I speak to people every day who are struggling to manage their asthma. Some are having asthma attacks when they call.
The advice we give without fail is to make sure they...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests