Nursing Standard podcast: Tool to help you spot signs of modern slavery in a patient
In episode 6 the Nursing Standard podcast nurse Louise Cahill explains a tool to help you identify signs of slavery
Listen to the Nursing Standard podcast
Share your feedback
Tweet your thoughts using the hashtag #nspod or email comments and suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscibe to the Nursing Standard podcast
Subscribe to the Nursing Standard podcast on iTunes (for Apple and desktop users or Stitcher (for Android, desktop and Apple users)
Nurses can be at the forefront of spotting modern slavery, says the main guest on this week’s Nursing Standard podcast.
Adult nurse Louise Cahill talks about a new tool designed to help nurses and midwives spot the signs of slavery and take the right action.
Ms Cahill, highly commended at last year’s RCNi Awards in the Andrew Parker Student Nurse Award category, co-designed the tool with midwife Anna Robinson.
It takes the form of a wheel diagram, with one side helping to identify slaves or conditions they may present with and the other explaining what to do next.
NHS England defines modern slavery as the recruitment, movement, harbouring or receiving of children, women or men through the use of force, coercion, abuse of vulnerability, deception or other means, for the purpose of exploitation.
This includes human trafficking into, out of and within the UK for reasons of sexual exploitation, forced labour, domestic servitude and organ harvesting.
Nurses who believe a patient or service user may be a victim of modern slavery can contact the free and confidential modern slavery helpline for advice on 0800 0121 700 or visit its website.
This week's Nursing Standard podcast also looks at collaborative communication, with our senior nurse editor Richard Hatchett sitting down with nurse academic Julian Barratt.
Dr Barratt recently wrote a paper for Nursing Standard called Collaborative communication: learning from advanced clinical practice patient consultations.
Also in this podcast…
- Fitness to practise: NMC plan to help nurses resolve cases before hearings
- Hospital at risk as staff struggle to cover mental health shortages
- Why a dearth of board-level nurses is bad for patients
- The Nursing Standard app
Catch up on previous episodes this season
- Episode 1 – Foundation years for nursing students
- Special – 'Integrate the four fields of nursing,' says nurse leader Alison Twycross
- Episode 2 – Nursing student bursary was ‘far from ideal,’ says nurse MP Maria Caulfield
- Episode 3 – Swansea university students reflect on training experience
- Episode 4 – Change is in the care
- Episode 5 – ‘Agile working is about the difference we can make for patients’
In other news