Pre-operative anxiety: how to help patients prepare for surgery
Communication and planning are vital – as is understanding how much information the patient wants to know
- About one in four patients are what would be classed as very anxious before surgery
- Too much – or too little - knowledge can exacerbate feelings of anxiety ahead of surgery, so it’s important to find out what your patient needs
- Options for offering support before surgery and in theatre, what questions to ask, and the extra steps required for some patient groups
When faced with undergoing anaesthetic, and thoughts of risk factors, surgical instruments and a possible long recovery, it is understandable for patients to feel nervous ahead of surgery.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests