MPs join forces to highlight and debate key patient safety issues
Picture credit: Pete Ellis
But despite a number of national patient safety reviews, including those by NHS England medical director Sir Bruce Keogh and US professor Don Berwick, concerns persist that patients are being put at risk by understaffing.
Now a cross-party group of MPs has been brought together by the Patients Association and Conservative MP Andrea Jenkyns to boost the profile of patient safety.
The all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on patient safety, one of more than 100 such groups set up to raise awareness of an issue among MPs and the public, includes one present and two past members of the House of Commons health committee.
‘I want to work with nurses to get a feel for what it’s like out there’
– Andrea Jenkyns
Members of APPGs promote their issue in parliamentary debates, invite ministers to their evidence sessions and the...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests