Misleading roles: why the public can’t rely on the job title ‘nurse’
Unregistered staff in nurse roles, and advanced titles misused, survey reveals
- The title registered nurse is protected in UK law but nurse is not
- Some staff have the word advanced in their title without having the relevant skills and qualifications
- Streamlining the range of nurse job titles can offer greater clarity and support for patients, particularly in specialist areas
Use of the word nurse in the job titles of unregistered support staff remains widespread in the NHS, according to front-line nurses.
Registered nurses have told Nursing Standard that the practice confuses patients and staff alike and some believe it risks the reputation of the profession.
Titles can cause confusion for patients
The term nurse has become diluted, one respondent told Nursing Standards image of nursing survey. Non-qualified staff [being] associated...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests