Exclusive: Falling EU nurse figures spark fresh concerns over Brexit
New figures show fewer EU nurses in post at certain ‘high-risk’ trusts and fewer joining the register in the UK.
Concern about the effect of Brexit on the UK nursing workforce could intensify, with new figures showing fewer EU nurses in post at certain NHS trusts and fewer registering to work here.
The new minority government is expected to start Brexit negotiations with Brussels on 19 June, but there are still no guarantees for EU nationals about their right to remain. Newly reappointed health secretary Jeremy Hunt says the status of EU nationals working in the NHS will be top of the government’s ‘list’ as negotiations start.
Tougher language requirements for nurses from overseas have also been blamed for recruitment problems.
All this means further workforce uncertainty for the health...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests