Attitudes hardening towards assaults on NHS staff
MPs are urged to extend tougher penalties for attacks on NHS workers, as the RCN warns offical statistics do not reveal 'the true picture'
Mental health nurse Sharon Morris was attacked by a patient in the grounds of her former workplace in North Wales last autumn. Ms Morris was repeatedly punched in the face until she lost consciousness and collapsed.
‘As he was hitting me, I thought about my children and that I might die,’ she recounts. ‘He punched me in the face until I passed out.’
A year on, Ms Morris says she continues to suffer after-effects from the incident.
‘I still get nightmares and flashbacks, and I misjudge people’s intentions. If someone moves towards me suddenly I just freeze.’
The number of assaults against NHS staff every day in England
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests