Touchscreen helps to ease cancer worries
It is not always easy for patients to talk about their personal problems. Sometimes they need a bit of help.
A new tool developed by Macmillan Cancer Support – the electronic holistic needs assessment (eHNA) – is helping to ensure that people with cancer get the support they need.
The eHNA provides cancer patients with detailed needs assessments through a touchscreen tablet. The information is then sent to the clinician through a secure website and provides a framework for a structured conversation based on what matters to the patient and a personalised care plan.
The tool has been used in 46 hospitals and data from more than 4,000 assessments is showing some interesting results. More than half the patients (54%) said the tool helped them discuss concerns with their healthcare teams, while more than one third (36%) said they felt more confident discussing personal, sensitive issues....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests