Staff fitness plan on track for boosting health and raising team spirit
A project that uses an online platform and 'virtual coaches' to track and encourage physical activity is helping nurses in Stockport to take more exercise
Senior public heath nurse Jan Sinclair and her fitness team at Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport walked, jogged and ran over 1,000 miles at Easter. It took them nine days to cover a distance equivalent to a return trip from Glasgow to Plymouth, but no one had a day off work.
This was a virtual tour of Britain. Each member of the 31-strong team wore a fitness tracking device and at the end of each day they logged their miles on a team website. They included miles walked at work and other activity, such as a jog after work, a lunchtime stroll or a weekend walk in the country.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests