‘Parents, like us, of trans children are begging for support’
The mother of child who has transitioned socially from girl to boy says the fear that children are being rushed into life-changing decisions is misplaced. In reality, families are struggling alone with hugely challenging issues
This is the story of a mum looking for care for her child. A mum who would do anything to help that child, but who has been trapped in a system that struggles to provide appropriate care.
I have (knowingly) had a transgender child for 20 months, although my child, now almost 12, has known from about the age of seven or eight. My then 10-year-old daughter had felt for several years that something wasn’t right and finally found the words to tell us. Very quickly she became our son.
You may well be thinking, especially if you read the newspapers, that 10-year-olds don’t know their...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests