New education standards will prepare students for the rigours of modern nursing
Reform of preregistration nurse education will not only affect students, but the profession as a whole. Lead adviser on the changes, Dame Jill Macleod Clark, explains her thinking
When the Nursing and Midwifery Council asked Dame Jill Macleod Clark to lead the development of its new standards for nurses entering the profession, she was taken aback. ‘I absolutely didn’t expect to be approached – I supposed I would be seen as something of a challenger.’
The last time the NMC had revised its standards for pre-registration education, in 2010, Professor Macleod Clark had been unstinting in her disappointment. She was chair of the Council of Deans of Health at the time: ‘I was very vocal on behalf of the membership about the fact that the NMC h ad not radically reviewed the standards – they had made...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests