The MS nurse: 25 years on
MS awareness week on 24-30 April marks the 25th anniversary of the launch of the multiple sclerosis specialist nurse role. Specialist nurses have made a huge difference to patients but now face tough challenges over caseloads and drug complexity
Emma Matthews became a multiple sclerosis (MS) specialist nurse after seeking a job that would let her build close relationships with patients and their families. Ms Matthews, who works at Northampton General Hospital four days a week, says working in partnership with patients over the past eight years to manage the progressive neurological condition has been incredibly satisfying.
'The people I see, I get to know properly,' says Ms Matthews, who was previously a ward sister. 'I see people from diagnosis, when they may be very traumatised, and see...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests