Gold standard support for patients with rare cancer
Healthcare assistant Elaine Cooney, highly commended at the RCNi Nurse Awards 2017 for improving the experience of patients with a rare cancer, gives up her own time to make sure patients and their families are prepared for hospital
A healthcare assistant’s work to improve the experience of patients with a rare cancer was highly commended at the RCNi Nurse Awards 2017.
Elaine Cooney, who works for Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, was recognised in the RCN Healthcare Assistant category for her work supporting patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei and their families.
She spent her own time and money decorating the dark and dingy relatives’ room in Basingstoke Hospital’s intensive care unit. The room is now a bright, warm and inviting space with comfortable sofas that offers sanctuary and a priceless opportunity for peer support...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests