A nurse’s story: what it takes to do the hardest job of all
Award-winning novelist and keynote speaker at this year’s RCN congress Christie Watson says nurses are in ‘dire straits’ and in desperate need of support. Her account of a 20-year career in London hospitals captures the terrible, hidden beauty of nursing
In her new book, Christie Watson set out to do something that sounds simple, but isn’t: ‘I wanted to describe the job of nursing.’ As Watson sees it, nursing is bigger, more complex, more demanding than any other profession. ‘It is very hard to put into language because it is metaphorical, it is quite abstract. It is not just one art, it is all the arts – it is everything all at once.
‘With medicine you can talk about disease processes,...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests