Learning to live with diabetes: nurses who show the way
Nurses such as those in a team led by Theresa Smyth are pivotal to good management of diabetes, guiding patients over the long term on how to control it
Following a patient from initial diagnosis through the various milestones of their life is among the major attractions of working in diabetes for consultant nurse Theresa Smyth.
‘In other fields, a patient comes onto a ward and is eventually discharged, so you often don’t see them again,’ says Ms Smyth, who has worked at University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust throughout her career.
‘But because this is a long-term condition, you’re with them the whole way, helping to make a difference as they learn to live with diabetes.’
Working within acute...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests