60 seconds with RCNi child health award winner Drew McDonald
Never settle for second best and always keep an open mind, says Drew McDonald, winner of the child health award at the 2017 RCNi Awards
Drew McDonald qualified as a children’s nurse in 2005 from Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. After working in neonatal care and on a medical ward at Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital he moved to the emergency department, where he has worked for the past ten years. Promoted to band 6 in 2013, he is now sepsis lead nurse for the hospital. In May, he won the child health award at the 2017 RCNi Awards for developing a tool for identifying sepsis in children.
What are your main work responsibilities? To ensure all our staff have the necessary training, equipment and skills to deliver the best possible patient care.
Who are your clients/patients? Children...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests